Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Flower Still Life Painting


I began painting this 4'x3' acrylic painting on paper at my grandparents house this last November. They had a vase of flowers on the hearth in their living room.

I had lugged this enormous drawing board to their 60 acre property in Cedaredge, CO thinking I may or may not get anything done that weekend as it was a little family reunion. However, by 9pm everyone was just sitting around reading or looking at pictures and that blank piece of paper in the car was pressing on my mind. So, I set up shop on their living room floor and started painting these flowers. I stayed up until 4am trying to get enough done so that I could bring it home and finish it in my studio.

I brought it back after taking a few pictures and it sat in the corner for about a month. I basically hated it. Then I got the idea to redo the whole thing in oil paints. The entire color scheme changed and the background went from a rusty orange color to the bluish purple it is now. The flowers themselves changed a lot too as I lost the photos I had taken of them.

The final product is more from my imagination than most paintings I have done. I like it a lot better now. I think there are at least 6 or 7 layers of paint on the thing since I repainted it so many times...it's kinda heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment