Thursday, February 4, 2010

Contemporary Landscape Art

After I built this 3ft. square canvas stretcher, I painted the scene with oil paints.

I began working from a photo I took while camping near Monarch Mountain last summer (09). It was about 5:30am and the misty light was just beginning to come up through the trees. My brother and I were standing in the sun to get warm when I snapped this picture.

After working on this piece for a couple weeks, I ditched the photo and started getting a little more stylistic (meaning: painting from my imagination, or just putting paint where it felt good).

My main focus for this piece was to learn how to paint light. In terms of subject matter, this was a new type of landscape for me. It was interesting to paint something that felt like a more enclosed space rather than a sprawling stretch of land. I am pleased with the results.

1 comment:

  1. The shadows are crazy in the foreground... you definitely captured light filtering through the trees and fog. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete